Sunday, July 17, 2011

President Thomas S. Monson, the Living Prophet


Today in Sunday School someone mentioned how, when President Hinckley passed away, they had had a hard time accepting that President Monson was the new prophet at first, because they had grown up with President Hinckley and just couldn't imagine anything different.  I've heard many, many people my age say very similar things before, but today it got me thinking back to how, amazingly, I really didn't have a problem with it.  It was just a perfectly smooth transition for me.  I had even begun looking forward to the day when President Monson would be the prophet a couple of years before it happened.  I even remember the day I realized I really loved President Monson and that I truly had a testimony that he would one day be the president of the Church.  Until I looked it up today, I couldn't remember exactly what the talk he was giving was about, but I remembered that it was at one of the Young Women's sessions of General Conference, and that he told a story involving potatoes falling out of a shopping cart.  I know it seems a little odd for a story about potatoes to be what gave me a testimony of a future prophet, but somehow the way he told that story was just so endearing and his voice was so comforting that I never forgot it.  I remember those couple of minutes so well that when I went to look up that talk today, I was  quite surprised to find that I was only 14 at the time.  It was 6 years ago, at the April 2005 General Conference.  Here is the talk he gave that day:

Be Thou an Example

Thomas S. Monson truly is a prophet of God on the earth today, just as Gordon B. Hinckley was before him, and just as his successor will be after him.  Heavenly Father will never let a prophet leave this earth before his work is done, and He will always have another man prepared to take his place when his work is done.  I am so grateful to belong to this Church, where I never have to wonder where to look for guidance, and I never have to worry that the wrong man will be elected.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is indeed the true church of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment